Concrete is a strong, versatile building material used for everything from paving roads to constructing dams in many construction and public works projects. When applied correctly, concrete can produce long-lasting, durable structures.
Whether a project requires you to pour new concrete or cut through the old, your company needs the right tools and machine attachments to get the job done.
Essential Types of Concrete Job Attachments
Concrete jobs require specialized machines and attachments. Some of the most common attachments in the concrete industry include:
- Hammers: Hammer attachments are used to facilitate efficient demolition of reinforced concrete. These tools can be silenced or non-silenced, and some are capable of delivering an impact frequency higher than 1,500 blows per minute.
- Saws: Like hammers, saw attachments are used to break through existing concrete. A good saw allows your team to perform patch cutting, utility trenching and road expansion joint cuts. Varying widths and maximum cutting depths accommodate different project specifications.
- Compactors: Compactor attachments allow you to flatten raw soil and gravel before pouring concrete. There are three main kinds of compactor attachments manufactured by Caterpillar: compaction wheels, vibratory drum compactors and vibratory plate compactors. Width and compaction force influence the performance of each type.
- Mixing buckets: For projects that require you to pour concrete, a mixing bucket attachment is essential. These buckets use paddles to mix material continuously and allow operators to place concrete right where it's needed.
Hammers, saws, compactors and mixing buckets are most often used with skid steers. They can also be attached to wheel loaders, excavators and backhoes. You can rent a machine configured with the concrete job attachment you need or rent the attachment separately. Both options can prove beneficial depending on what heavy machinery you have on hand.
Top Concrete Tool Rentals for Any Job
In addition to the attachments listed above, many masonry jobs also require a variety of stand-alone concrete tools to ensure tasks are completed correctly. While every job is different, there are some standard tools that you'll need to work with concrete.
Essential tools for any concrete project include:
- Concrete buggies: Cat® dealers carry concrete buggies with various capacities that allow you to easily transport freshly mixed concrete around your work site to areas that can't be accessed by trucks. Buggies are easier to move than manual wheelbarrows, reducing labor requirements and the risk of injury.
- Mixers: Our high-quality concrete mixers use revolving drums to produce perfectly mixed concrete wherever you may need it. These mixers are perfect for work sites inaccessible by mixing trucks.
- Vibrators: Concrete vibrators produce vibrations in freshly poured concrete to prevent the formation of bubbles and ensure the best possible finish. Our dealers offer a variety of vibrators in different sizes to suit your needs.
- Saws: Our collection of concrete saws includes hand-held cut-off saws and walk-behind saws designed to cut through even the most hardened concrete. Use a hand-held saw to cut up to 5 inches deep, or choose a walk-behind saw for deeper cuts.
- Jackhammers: Reduce the time required to break up concrete by using a reliable and efficient jackhammer. Your local Cat dealer can provide both gas-powered models and jackhammers powered by electricity to help you break through any slab.
- Trowels: We can connect you to walk-behind and ride-on trowels to help you achieve the most level, even finish possible for your next concrete pour. Walk-behind power trowels are great for slabs and smaller projects, while our ride-on models offer faster finishing for fresh concrete in large spaces.
The skilled team at your nearby Cat dealer is available 24/7 to discuss the details of your concrete project and help you determine which tools you may need. They'll do whatever it takes to ensure you're equipped with the best tools for the job.
Concrete Tools vs. Attachments
In many cases, the essential equipment you need to complete your next job is available with various options to help you meet the specifications of your project. These options usually include different fuel sources, sizes and configurations. The equipment you need could also be available as both a tool and an attachment. For example, we offer concrete saws as attachments, but we can also provide hand-held saws and walk-behind saws as stand-alone tools.
Attachments are tools that connect to a heavy-duty Cat machine with quick couplers. These attachments add task-specific functionality to your machine and help you complete a project quickly and efficiently.
Tools are an excellent option if you don't have access to a compatible machine or if you are working in a smaller space that can't accommodate larger equipment. Tools may also offer you more precision to complete detailed work that requires a lighter touch.
To determine which configuration will best serve you for your next project, consider the space available at your work site and the kinds of tasks you'll need to complete.
Finding the Right Rental Tools and Attachments for Your Next Concrete Job
Renting equipment for concrete jobs can help you complete work effectively while reducing costs and maintenance requirements. Here are a few tips to finding the right rental tools and attachments:
- Evaluate your needs: Before you choose a rental provider, determine what you need from your rental equipment. Consider which attachments you want, how long you need them and what you're willing to pay.
- Check equipment condition: Once you've found a prospective dealer, check out the equipment in person. Your rental provider should examine the condition of the attachment and perform regular maintenance, preferably at both check-in and check-out.
- Ask about service offerings: You want your rental provider to offer more than a large attachment inventory. To minimize downtime and promote safety, look for a company that offers fast response in the field and convenient operator training.
Rent Attachments and Tools for Concrete Jobs at The Cat® Rental Store
At The Cat Rental Store, we offer flexible rental terms, client-focused service and a wide range of Cat and allied concrete machine attachments. We have more than 1,300 locations worldwide, so you can always find the rentals you need. The equipment experts on our team will do whatever it takes to help you.
To learn more or request a quote, call 1-800-RENT-CAT or browse our selection of work tool attachments online.
Find The Cat Rental Store Near You