Natural disasters such as severe storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and floods can leave an extensive trail of devastation and destruction in their wake. Downed trees, damaged homes, damaged business establishments and piles of debris can litter the landscape, creating a significant issue that requires immediate attention. If you're in the disaster recovery business or a municipality that must handle cleanup in the aftermath of an event, you need the right equipment for the job.
What Types of Storm Restoration Equipment Might You Need?
While the appropriate type of equipment for storm damage cleanup will vary based on the nature, size and scope of the disaster, most jobs will require one or more of the following:
- Track-type tractors: Also known as bulldozers or crawlers, these powerful machines can push vast quantities of scattered debris into piles to facilitate the disposal process. Their tracks provide additional stability and traction on treacherous terrain.
- Backhoes: A backhoe loader is a versatile, maneuverable machine that can work well in storm-damaged areas cluttered with debris. Essentially a tractor equipped with a loader-type bucket, a backhoe can perform a variety of light-duty shoveling and material handling tasks.
- Wheel loaders: Also referred to as front loaders, these agile machines serve as mobile shovels that can lift and transport debris and load it onto vehicles for removal.
- Track loaders: A track loader is a heavier version of a wheel loader. Although track loaders aren't as fast and agile as wheel loaders, they tend to provide increased delivery. Because they have tracks, they also perform better in the softer underfoot conditions that typically exist in flooded areas.
- Cranes: Cranes and crane trucks may be necessary for storm and hurricane damage cleanup operations that require lifting and transporting heavy objects.
- Dump trucks: In a typical disaster cleanup scenario, dump trucks transport debris loaded by wheel loaders, track loaders and cranes away from the site for disposal.
- Excavators: Once the debris has been cleared away, rebuilding is usually the next step in the disaster recovery process. Excavators can dig holes for building foundations and perform trenching to reach, repair and replace damaged underground utility lines and piping systems.
The Benefits of Renting Equipment for Disaster Cleanup
Thankfully, severe storms, hurricanes and floods aren't everyday occurrences. Renting heavy equipment can provide a fast, cost-effective solution for getting machines on an as-needed basis. You'll be able to acquire the job-specific models you require for your cleanup operation this way, and you'll avoid costs such as storage, maintenance and repairs.
The Cat® Rental Store Can Provide the Right Storm Restoration Equipment for Your Needs
The Cat® Rental Store offers a variety of late-model backhoes, bulldozers, dump trucks and other essential cleanup equipment from Caterpillar and other leading manufacturers. Our expert team can help you choose the best machines for your recovery tasks. We'll also work with you to craft a flexible rental agreement that fits your time frame and budget.
Get the machines your business needs from experts who will do whatever it takes. Reach us by phone at 1-800-RENT-CAT, or browse our equipment online and contact us for a fast quote.
Find The Cat Rental Store Near You