Removing high volumes of snow from properties is a demanding task that requires heavy-duty equipment. A wheel loader is a powerful, versatile machine that can handle the challenge. Use this piece of equipment to clear accumulated snow and ice from roadways, sidewalks, parking lots and other areas quickly and efficiently. You can also equip the wheel loader with various attachments to enhance performance and productivity.
What Is a Wheel Loader?
A wheel loader is a four-wheeled earthmoving machine featuring a front-mounted bucket for scooping and loading loose materials. This system includes a lift-arm assembly that enables the operator to raise and lower the bucket as needed. The assembly also has a bell crank for opening and closing the bucket. Wheel loaders fall into one of four size classifications: compact, small, medium and large.
Newer wheel loader models offer a host of technical advancements:
- Durable, fuel-efficient engines that generate lower exhaust emissions
- Electronically controlled transmissions that deliver high-precision matching of engine output with load and speed demands
- Hydraulic systems equipped with efficient variable-displacement pumps
- Automotive-style operator environments that maximize control and comfort
Benefits of Using Wheel Loaders for Snow Removal Projects
You'll typically find wheel loaders performing a wide range of loading, unloading and material handling tasks at construction, mining, quarry and aggregate, and forestry/landscaping sites. But they also have numerous attributes that are helpful when removing snow:
- Capacity: Wheel loaders offer the largest bucket capacities of any loading machine. They deliver excellent results when managing high volumes of snow and ice.
- Maneuverability: Snow removal often requires navigating around vehicles and other obstacles. The relatively small size and ease of handling provided by a wheel loader enable the operator to work in confined areas inaccessible to bulkier plow trucks.
- Visibility: Blowing, swirling snow can pose challenges for crew members, especially during low-light conditions. The 360-degree visibility provided by wheel loaders allows workers to see where they're going and what they're doing, improving performance and reducing the risk of an accident.
- Traction: Snow removal crews need a machine that can plow through snow and ice without slipping or losing control. Many wheel loader models contain four-wheel-drive articulated steering, on-demand differential locking and other features that improve traction in challenging conditions.
- Comfort: Removing snow requires working long hours in cold weather. Newer wheel loaders have spacious heated cabs with ample legroom, adjustable seats, ergonomic controls and other features to keep operators comfortable throughout their shift.
- Fuel efficiency: Diesel costs are a crucial element during extended snow removal operations. Wheel loaders are significantly more fuel-efficient than other machine types, resulting in lower operating expenses.
- Safety: Operators may need to enter and exit the vehicle frequently during snow removal operations. Wheel loaders have a side door that enables easy access. Operators can stay safe when entering the cab instead of taking a risk by climbing over snow or ice-covered buckets.
Choosing Attachments When Renting Loaders for Snow Removal
When renting a wheel loader, you can select from numerous attachments to customize the machine's performance and tailor it to your working conditions. Available options include:
- Buckets: The standard bucket that most wheel loaders come with are excellent for general earthmoving tasks, but they don't work as well for getting rid of snow. Adding a wider light-material bucket will increase the machine's snow removal capacity and speed up the process.
- Pushers: This attachment offers an efficient solution for removing large volumes of snow from parking lots, driveways and the sides of buildings. It can work up to five times faster than a conventional blade.
- Blowers: A blower attachment enables the wheel loader operator to clear a path by picking up snow and directing it to the side.
- Plows: Choose a reversing snow plow attachment if you need your wheel loader to remove heavy volumes of snow and ice from roads, parking lots or other open areas.
The Cat® Rental Store Offers Wheel Loaders and Attachments for Rent
Renting wheel loaders for snow removal is a cost-effective seasonal solution for construction and landscaping businesses and other companies looking to generate revenues during the winter. The Cat® Rental Store near you carries a large selection of Cat machinery and attachments that will meet your needs and fit your budget. We'll provide expert product selection assistance, including recommendations for which machines and attachments would work best for you.
Contact us to learn more about our snow removal equipment rental options. Call us at 1-800-RENT-CAT or complete and submit our online quote request form today.
Find The Cat Rental Store Near You