Many companies turn to renting for a convenient, flexible, cost-effective construction equipment solution. A rental can fill an immediate need without you making a long-term commitment. When you rent, you'll avoid costs like storage, maintenance, depreciation and insurance — and renting is ideal when you only need equipment on a temporary or seasonal basis.
If you're new to renting equipment, you probably have questions about how the process works and what to expect when you call the rental company. Here at The Cat® Rental Store, we understand that renting heavy equipment can be confusing. We've assembled the following construction equipment rental tips to make it easier — and help you avoid costly mistakes.
What to Know for Construction Equipment Rental
If you have the right information, you'll rent the right equipment. Know:
- What you need: The last thing you want is to spend money on a rental and get it to your job site — only to discover that it's not suited for the task. Do some preliminary research to determine the exact machine your job requires as well as the correct size. If you work with a reputable provider like The Cat Rental Store, you'll have access to expert product selection advice you can trust.
- When and for how long you'll need it: Unless you're renting at the last minute to replace a broken-down machine, it always pays to plan. Creating a realistic schedule will help you determine the best time frame for your rental agreement. Pick the equipment up or have it delivered to your site the day before you need it so that it's there and ready to go first thing in the morning.
- All the costs and fees upfront: A rental company that offers the lowest rate isn't always the best option. Some providers include hidden fees that drive up the final price. Scrutinize the rental agreement before signing on the dotted line to make sure you know what you're getting for your money.
- What additional services the rental company provides: Available services such as maintenance and repairs vary between rental providers. Find out which services you'll get — and how much they'll cost.
- How to use the equipment properly: If you're a first-time renter, there's a good chance that you or your operators will be unfamiliar with the machine. Getting trained on how to operate the equipment correctly and safely can maximize productivity and minimize the risk of job site accidents and injuries.
- When you must return the equipment: Make sure you bring the rental back when it's due. Why pay for an extra day or late fees for a machine you're no longer using?
How to Make the Most of Your Rental Equipment
By making smart choices and thinking ahead, you can get more out of your rental equipment and save money. Always follow these three tips for first-time equipment renters to get the most out of your rental equipment:
- Find the perfect equipment for your job: The easiest way to save time and money when using rental equipment is to pick the tool that's best suited to your job. Always do your research and make sure to find the right-sized equipment, and don't be afraid to ask around for another expert's thoughts on the matter.
- Learn the art of timing your rentals: Tracking down the right piece of rental equipment can be tricky. Scheduling a rental too early can quickly cause inconveniences if your schedule moves faster or slower than you anticipated, while waiting until the last minute to get a rental may limit the brands, equipment and sizes you can choose from. The best rule of thumb for rental timing is to wait until you're sure that your project is proceeding on schedule and choose from a large vendor who has access to multiple equipment sizes and configurations in case your project requires specialized machinery.
- Watch the weather carefully: When you rent equipment, it comes to your job site rain or shine. To maximize the efficiency and usefulness of your rental equipment, always make sure to watch the weather and schedule rentals when you can make the most of them.
Contact The Cat® Rental Store for All Your Equipment Rental Needs
The Cat Rental Store carries a wide selection of construction machines at competitive rates. With our commitment to service, you can count on us for reliable guidance to maximize your rental experience.
Browse our equipment lineup and rent what you need from trustworthy professionals who do whatever it takes. Give us a call at 1-800-RENT-CAT for more useful construction equipment rental tips or to get the process started, and contact us online for a quick quote.
Find The Cat Rental Store Near You